TikTok has quickly risen as a top contender in the digital marketing world. Learn how its algorithm works and what it can do for your business, from boosting engagement to getting more people to watch your ads.
Tiktok is a social media platform that allows users to create short videos. The TikTok algorithm is how the platform determines what content should be shown on their site. This article will explain how the algorithm works, and why it’s important for marketers in 2021.
TikTok has gone from a lesser-known social media platform to the number one app in the app store since its inception in 2017. It’s no wonder that TikTok has become so popular because to its diverse content, user-friendly layout, and customized video curation.
Of course, not everyone has had the same level of success with TikTok as creators like Charli D’Amelio and Addison Rae. The secret to getting your TikTok video to appear on everyone’s for you page (FYP) is to be creative. TikTok’s algorithm should be understood.
Read on to learn all you need to know about the TikTok algorithm if you want to maximize your reach.
The Origins of TikTok
Before we get into what TikTok is, let’s take a look at the platform’s initial incarnation: Musical.ly.
In 2014, the app Musical.ly was released. Musical.ly had a format that was quite similar to our current version of TikTok. Users would make videos based on a certain audio sample. The audio recordings were generally popular songs, while the videos showed individuals lip-syncing and dancing.
Musical.ly had a modest user base compared to other popular social media sites like Facebook and Twitter at the time. That isn’t to suggest that Musical.ly was a totally unknown app. By 2016, this platform had received roughly 70 million downloads.
TikTok was established by a Chinese firm named ByteDance in 2017. TikTok combined with Musical.ly to become the present version of the app, which we use today, due to its comparable structure and rapid ascent to renown. This merger cost about $1 billion dollars, but it’s no surprise that the investment paid off in the long term. 1
Despite the fact that TikTok’s first debut in the United States was not the blockbuster success that ByteDance had hoped for, the app became a household brand in the years that followed. The COVID-19 epidemic, in particular, drove a massive spike in TikTok users, with an 800 percent increase from 2018.
TikTok has already been downloaded over 2 billion times worldwide, with roughly 50 million daily users in the United States alone. 2
What Is TikTok and How Do I Use It?
For new users, learning how to utilize TikTok might be a bit challenging. It’s critical to grasp the ins and outs of utilizing TikTok and producing content in order to master the app’s algorithm.
After you’ve downloaded the app and registered an account, you can start exploring TikTok’s features. There are five primary pages to choose from when you first start the app:
- Your profile — First and foremost, you must have a profile. This is where you’ll find videos you’ve made and enjoyed. You’ll get access to your following list as well as any private movies you’ve posted.
- Your inbox is located next to your profile page. This is where you may send and receive messages as well as videos from other users. This tab also displays any alerts you’ve received, such as video likes and comments.
- Create – A black + symbol will appear in the centre of your screen. You may make a TikTok using this button. You’ll have access to your camera here, and you’ll be able to record or upload film, as well as add audio snippets and graphic effects.
- Discover – You may navigate through a trending hashtag, listen to audio samples, or search for particular videos and individuals on the discover page.
- Page dedicated to you — Finally, we have the TikTok app’s major attraction (and the subject of today’s article): the for you page. This is your primary feed of videos from both individuals you follow and strangers, referred to as the FYP. You’ll only view videos from individuals you follow if you go to the “following” section of your for you page, but most people go to the “for you” category, which displays you viral videos from all around the globe. This feature of TikTok is what distinguishes it from the competition, and it’s all owing to the algorithm.
The Algorithm of TikTok
Whether you’re a frequent TikTok maker or merely a casual watcher, you’ve certainly wondered how the TikTok algorithm works at least once.
Because the TikTok algorithm is quite sophisticated, many people are interested in learning more about it. You’ll notice that TikTok curates a unique FYP with videos you appreciate as you go through and like them. It’s simple to customize your TikTok FYP with a few clever likes and comments. This is why so many related TikTok videos are filled with comments like “wow, this truly is the page for YOU, huh?”
While generating a newsfeed that is tailored to each individual user is impressive, it requires a significant amount of programming. Three primary aspects impact the TikTok algorithm: 3
- User interactions – This section is all about how you engage with the material, such as the videos you like, share, and comment on. This includes the sort of material you create yourself as a creator.
- Video data – The characteristics of the videos you engage with will have an impact on your feed. Hashtags, audio samples, and keywords in captions are all examples of this.
- Account settings – Finally, the settings on your account will have an impact on your FYP. Location services, language options, and the sort of device you’re using are all examples.
While this may seem to be a straightforward task, the methods required to generate these preferences are really rather sophisticated. The “interest level” is the most well-known example of TikTok’s unique algorithm. This is how the app determines what kinds of videos a user wants to watch.
For example, if a user sees a video from beginning to end—or views it numerous times—more it’s likely that the video will have an impact on their FYP. In contrast, if a user goes through a video after a few seconds, the algorithm will classify it as boring to the user.
So, in conclusion, it’s not all about likes and comments. TikTok keeps a far closer eye on your behavior than you may imagine. That is the actual secret to making such a unique FYP.
How to Make the Most of the TikTok Algorithm
Now that you know more about the TikTok algorithm, let’s talk about how you can use it to your benefit. Here are some pointers on how to get your video on the FYP: 4
- Hashtags – Hashtags are essential for landing on the for you page. The hashtags #foryoupage and #fyp are often used, but you may also utilize current hashtags to increase your video’s chances of becoming viral.
- Trends – Keeping up with the latest trends is a terrific strategy to grow your audience and get on the FYP. Most TikTok trends will use the same music clip and follow a similar pattern. If a trend appears regularly on your FYP, it’s a good idea to repeat it with the same audio if you want to attract more viewers.
- Quality — The TikTok algorithm favors movies that are clear and of high quality. It’s best to video in a well-lit environment using a newer gadget if you want to get on the FYP. If you’re not going to use a pre-existing sound, audio quality is equally vital.
- Use analytics – For serious makers, TikTok analytics may help you get a lot of exposure. The statistics tab will show you when your followers are most active, which TikTok demographics they belong to, and which countries your videos are seen in.
- Engage with other users – TikTok, like any other social media tool, can be used to interact with other users. You may gradually build up your following and assure more views each video by communicating with other people, following other accounts, and reacting to comments.
- Don’t breach the rules – Compared to other social media platforms, TikTok has a greater audience of underage users, thus the app takes its community standards very seriously. If you want your video to become viral, stay away from any themes or visuals that the app’s administrators could flag. Any videos featuring the following material are prohibited by TikTok’s community guidelines:5
- Violent extremism is a kind of extremism that is characterized by
- xenophobic conduct
- Weapons, narcotics, gambling, and personally identifiable information are all examples of illegal activity.
- Graphic content and violence
- Suicide, self-harm, and other harmful activities are all on the rise.
- Bullying and harassment
- Sexual activities and nudity
- Minors are being treated in an unsafe manner.
- Imitation, spam, and disinformation
- Viruses on the platform and platform hacking
Using Videos to Promote
If you’re following the algorithm guidelines above but still don’t think your TikTok material is reaching a big enough audience, you may promote your videos.
TikTok Promote is a paid advertising platform that allows users to have their videos appear on the FYP. However, this service is not free—$0.10 per thousand views, to be precise.
SagaReach Marketing: The TikTok Algorithm’s Secret
The TikTok Promote tool can only go you so far with your work. With the help of our staff at Power Digital, you can reach your full creative potential.
You’ll get access to digital marketing pros at SagaReach Marketing who are ready to assist you expand your business and go through how to advertise on TikTok in detail. You’ll build a larger following than a few thousand views if you create a distinctive and diversified TikTok marketing approach.
With our help, you can start utilizing TikTok to your benefit right now. Now is the time to learn more about our digital marketing services.
- Medium Christina Gayton. TikTok’s Beginnings. https://christinagayton.medium.com/the-origins-of-tiktok-5efa7da4b3e6
- CNBC. For the First Time, TikTok Reveals Detailed User Numbers. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/24/tiktok-reveals-us-global-user-growth-numbers-for-first-time.html
- Later. The TikTok Algorithm Works Like This. https://later.com/blog/tiktok-algorithm
- JungleTopp. How the TikTok Algorithm Works and How to Hack It https://jungletopp.com/tiktok-algorithm/
- Community Guidelines for TikTok. https://www.tiktok.com/community-guidelines?lang=en#29
Tiktok is a social media app that has been growing in popularity. The algorithm for TikTok was updated recently and now it’s more difficult to get popular. Reference: tiktok algorithm update.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the algorithm work on TikTok?
A: The algorithm is not as complicated on TikTok. Its just a matter of how many likes you get and the number of people watching your videos.
What kind of algorithm does TikTok use?
A: TikTok uses an AI algorithm to determine which videos are suitable for you.
How does the TikTok algorithm Work 2022?
- how does tiktok algorithm work
- tiktok algorithm when to post
- tiktok algorithm exposed
- tiktok algorithm chart
- tiktok algorithm reddit